Complaints Procedure

We always endeavour to provide the best possible service. However, there may be an occasion when you feel dissatisfied and the information below explains what to do if you have a complaint.

We hope complaints can be resolved quickly as they arise and directly with the person concerned. However, if your problem cannot be dealt with as such, we would like you to let our Patient Services Manager know the details of your complaint, as soon as possible:

  • Within 12 months of the incident that caused problems, or
  • Within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem

Please note, AshLea Medical Practice Complaints Procedure does not deal with questions of legal liability or compensation.

Get advice before you start

Before you make your complaint, you can get free, confidential advice from your local Health Watch team

How to make a complaint

  • You can request a form from reception or write your own letter including the following details:  Full name, date of birth, GP Practice where you are registered, details of the incident, including dates, times and names of people involved.
  • If your complaining on a patient's behalf, include their written to consent to you acting on their behalf confirming their consent to you having access to their medical information. This is a requirement in order for the practice to adhere to strict rules of patient confidentiality.
  • If the patient cannot give consent because of illness or an accident, it might still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please write a letter with precise details of the reasons why they cannot give consent. 
  • Address complaints initially to our Patient Services Manager at Reception. They will decide how best to proceed.

What happens next

  • We will endeavour to acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days.
  • We will endeavour to have investigated your complaint in detail and reply to you in writing within 30 working days from the date of receipt of your complaint.
  • We should then be in a position to offer you an explanation and if necessary arrange a meeting with the people involved.  A third party can accompany you, if a meeting is required.
  • Occasionally, if a lot of enquiries need to be made or a member of the practice team who is involved is absent or on leave, or during public holidays or due to mail service provider delays, this process may take longer, in which case we will keep you informed.

What we look at

  • What happened and why
  • How we can help you talk to the people involved, if required
  • What we can learn

If more than one organisation is involved

Other organisations may be involved, for example social services. If so, we will talk to them and you'll receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this.

If you send your complaint in error to the wrong organisation in the first instance, we may request your consent to forward it to the right place.

If you're unhappy outcome

If you're unhappy with the outcome, you can contact the Health Service Ombudsman

You may also approach PALS for help or advice:

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) may also be able to help you. They provide advice, support and assistance to patients. Please contact PALS if you need advice or information about how to raise a concern or make a complaint. They will listen to what you have to say and will try to resolve any problems quickly and satisfactorily. If they cannot help you themselves, they will point you in the right direction. You can use the PALS finder service to locate your nearest PALS office